Plant-based diets have been gaining immense popularity these days. It is one of those diets which focuses on using foods obtained from plants and their sources. You would probably think that moving to a plant-based diet is a great idea, but you don’t know where to start. In this article, we look at what a plant-based diet is, the surrounding health benefits, healthy and protein-rich plant-based breakfast ideas, and its nutritional considerations.
What qualifies in Plant-based breakfast?
A plant-based diet is one that involves consuming foods obtained from plants. It also focuses on natural and whole foods that are not heavily processed. It does not include animal-derived foods like meat, eggs, milk, and others. As per the research highlights of The China Book, you do not need to consume meat because “there are no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by plants”.
As breakfast is the most important part of a healthy morning routine, it is important to include some tasty and high nutritional superfoods to your breakfast. These diets focus not only on fruits and vegetables but also on nuts, oils, whole grains, and seeds. It consists of proper portions of all of these. Some of the best ingredients of plant-based breakfast are:
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds are full of proteins and B vitamins and can help you look and feel your best. They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids that can limit the growth of cancer cells in your body. They can be soaked in water, added to a smoothie, and also be consumed in a powdered form. They make for an easy plant-based breakfast and taste delicious down the last spoon.
- Dark leafy greens: Leafy greens like kale, spinach, parsley, and others are the ultimate source of plant-based proteins. They can be added to anything, raw or cooked, and forms the best plant-based diet breakfast.
- Berries: Berries are a powerhouse of vitamins, nutrients, fibres, and antioxidants. They are effective in treating digestive and immunity disorders and can also reduce the risk of heart diseases. Enjoy them in salads or as smoothies, the variations of this plant-based breakfast are very versatile.
These are some of the superfoods that qualify for a plant-based breakfast, though it is not restricted to these. Continue reading this article to know about more such easy plant-based breakfast.
Benefits of Plant-based Diets
Moving to a plant-based diet is one of the most powerful steps to improve your energy levels and boost your health. Some of the popular benefits include:
- Aids in weight management: People who follow a plant-based diet tend to be full for a longer time. Switching to leafy vegetables and healthy foods can keep you leaner and make it easy to lose weight. They also increase your body’s metabolism and help in shedding off harmful fats.
- Prevents and treats diabetes: According to research published in the Journal of Geriatric Cardiology in May 2017, having a plant-based diet can prevent type 2 diabetes and also reduce the risk of numerous chronic diseases. It can also help in their medication needs and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Lowers the risk of chronic disease: Plant based diet can prevent and treat various chronic conditions and heart diseases. A 2019 study published in the American Heart Association linked diets rich in healthy and plant-based foods with a lower risk of heart diseases.
There are many benefits of switching to a plant-based diet. If you are wondering how to include plant-based food in your breakfast, here are six easy and tasty recipes.
6 Plant-based Breakfast Ideas
Here are 6 new, easy and tasty plant-based breakfast ideas:
1) Chia and oats
When you have hectic mornings, overnight soaked chia seeds could be your go-to meal. They are easy to make and can also fill your tummy.
Cooking instructions: Mix ¼ cup of oats, ½ almond milk, two tablespoon chia seeds, ½ tablespoon maple syrup, and a drop of vanilla extract. All you need to do is stir well, mix them thoroughly, and put them in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, top it with some fruits and nuts, and your breakfast is ready.
Coffee can be a healthy beverage to kick-start your day. It is an excellent choice for all those who want to follow an easy plant-based diet.
Cooking instructions: Coffee can be made in multiple ways- brewed, hot, latte, cappuccino, cold, or even shakes. Whether you like to brew your own coffee beans or consume them in the form of a protein shake- the choice is yours.
3) V-8 smoothie
This eight-vegetable smoothie is a power-packed hydrating beverage and the perfect way to start your day.
Cooking instructions: add some kale, broccoli, parsley, avocado, lettuce, spinach, and blend into a smooth and creamy beverage. This smoothie will hydrate you and give you a strong influx of energy.
4) Mint chocolate smoothie
Who doesn’t love the epic combination of chocolate and mint? It is one of the most popular plant-based breakfast smoothies, and if it can provide your daily dose of nutrition, that’s like a cherry on top.
Cooking instructions: Add some bananas, almond milk, oats, flax seeds, mint leaves, and cocoa beans to a blender. Mix well until it forms a smooth texture, and embrace the goodness of chocolate and nutrition together. You can also add some protein coffee powder to the smoothie and energize yourself.
5) Banana bread and maple
Banana bread has been a common breakfast since ages. With a glaze drizzle of maple syrup, this traditional healthy breakfast has been revamped to give a new taste.
Cooking instructions: Add a glass of banana milk and vinegar, and whisk together. Mix the batter with almond butter, mashed banana, vanilla extract, and some maple syrup. In a separate bowl, mix together a bowl of flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the dry mix to the wet mixture, and stir to combine them. Pour the mixture into a parchment paper and bake for about 25 minutes. Once baked, add some maple glaze over the cake and enjoy it hot and soft.
6) Tofu scramble burrito
If you are looking for a savory breakfast with whole grains, vegetables, and salsa, a tofu scramble burrito should be your first choice.
Cooking instructions: Sauté the onions until soft and brown, crumble the tofu into the pan, and add some salt, pepper, turmeric, and other spices. Heat beans and other vegetables, and add with the mixture. Wrap the tortillas in a foil and microwave for 10 minutes.
Keeping the tortillas wrapped, lay them on a plate and top with the tofu scramble mixture. You can sprinkle some sliced onions and avocados and top with a bit of cream or salsa dip. This breakfast is super easy and is sure to satiate your taste buds.
High-Protein Plant-based Breakfast
The right plant-based foods are excellent sources of proteins and nutrients and are hardly accompanied by calories. Some foods have complete proteins, while others have some variants of the protein. The following plant-based diet foods have high protein content and should be a part of your plant-based breakfast.
- Tofu: Tofu is one of the richest sources of protein, with around 10 grams of protein per ½ cup. It contains all the healthy amino acids that your body needs and contains many other nutrients. It is low in calories and prevents the chances of heart diseases. Further, consuming tofu right in the morning seems to have a positive influence on your mind and is one of the superfoods to eliminate brain fog.
- Avocado: Avocado is one of the most protein-rich foods around. You can get a whopping 3 grams of protein even with a small cup of avocado. It is a powerhouse of healthy fats, minerals, fibres, and potassium and works amazingly well when taken with breakfast. You can eat it raw, make a salad dressing, or blend in a smoothie- a perfect balance of taste and nutrition.
- Banana: Bananas are a rich source of fibre, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and others. They are convenient to eat on the go and can fuel your body’s energy for a quick workout session or just get rid of your mid-day restlessness. One medium banana can provide up to 1.3 grams of protein.
Protein coffee: Coffee in itself contains a decent amount of protein, but adding protein powder to coffee can increase its nutritional value. By consuming protein coffee as part of your plant-based breakfast can help you stay hydrated throughout. It gives you an instant influx of energy and charges you for the entire day. Moreover, it also helps in getting rid of your morning laziness and improves your mental acuity.
When you look for plant-based diets, it is vital to look for plant-based breakfast protein and add them to your daily breakfast routine.
Eating a plant-based breakfast diet can have numerous health benefits and also reverse the condition of certain chronic diseases. If you are keen on switching to a plant-based diet, you can start gradually by reducing your meat intake and incorporating a healthy vegetable intake. With the delicious recipes mentioned above, you can easily get started to adopt a plant-based diet without compromising on your taste.